As promised yesterday, here is a list of books I've read aloud to my older two. It is by no means complete. My memory only stretches back so far, and many things we've read were as simple as beautifully illustrated and well retold fairy tales.
You'll see a couple of duplicates from yesterday (I told you I had read most of them); and if you see a box set of something, we've read the whole thing. I've read a couple of those famous JKRowling titles, too, but stopped early in the series. I wanted the younger one to be able to enjoy those for herself when she was a bit older. It's surprisingly difficult to mum a 10-year-old big brother.
We've thoroughly enjoyed the Mark Twain titles especially. The story is especially entertaining when you give Huck Finn an appropriate accent, and the historical context is priceless. If you have hidden them away because of the derogatory terms, you might want to dig it up again as a read-aloud. I simply left out the objectionable language and substituted it with words that were not so offensive. When my kids questioned my hesitation anywhere, I told them truthfully that in those days people said ugly things that I would never repeat.
I hope you see some new things to try, or are reminded of some things you may have read as a youngster. Happy reading!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Bigger Kid Read-Alouds
Submit to: del.icio.us | Digg it | YahooMyWeb
Labels:
family,
literature,
reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment