It's the 4th of July and we're busy relaxing and enjoying our day off. Excuse me, I mean we are busy celebrating our independence. Hey, if you're interested in the history behind the wonderful American holiday, check out Liberty! The American Revolution at PBS.org. If you want to round it out with a little bit of British perspective, hop on over to BBC-History.
Personally, as a homeschooling mom, I think the best way to teach our kids about the meaning of our Independence Day is to share with them modern day examples of people struggling for freedom. What better way of helping them really connect with the spirit of the American Revolution than of telling them about where you were and what you felt when the Berlin Wall came down, or explaining to them why a sham African election is all over the news these days? We often take our freedoms for granted (thank God we can), so helping your children realize that this is not a worldwide experience can give them a new perspective on why people would struggle to attain them.
History really comes to life when you feel a sympathy or even empathy with the people you're learning about. The opportunity to discuss these things is really one of the biggest advantages of homeschooling.
BTW, I'm off for the weekend. Hopefully I'll be back on Monday.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Independence Day
Submit to: del.icio.us | Digg it | YahooMyWeb
Labels:
4th of July,
American Revolution,
history
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment