Mom Sparks Mo Gameboy

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Grocery Bags

Hi everyone! We're back from vacation at the lovely SeaWorld. We had a wonderful time and on the way I got to enjoy the latest issue of Discover. There were several terrifying articles on the North Pacific Gyre or the "Trash Vortex" and Ocean acidification. This link tells how trash accumulates in the middle of the oceans, and this one tells why it's so bad: Plastic Waste Threatens Oceans from BBC Sci/Tech. Have you heard of these things? I had not until I read the magazine. There is however a dirth of images from this trash pile. I even found a few sites that expressed a bit of scepticism as to the urgency of the problem. The only question I have about it is this -->How much trash should be in the ocean before it's a problem? If you're not worried about it, maybe you need to take a trip to SeaWorld.

That being said, let me remind everyone to use non-disposable, non-plastic shopping bags. Yeah, yeah, I know they used to be expensive. Now you can get them for a dollar at Wal-mart. They've been in vogue some places for a while now. I need to tell you that is not the case where I live. Where I live, I had only ever seen one other person with a "green" shopping bag before the big "buck a bag" display went up at our local Wal-mart. I am using them at my even more local (that means small) grocery store now. I still don't see other people using them there yet, but I remember that one other person I once saw using her own bag. I hope somebody else sees us and decides to try it out. I hated those plastic bags before I read that article anyway.

No comments: