I haven't been posting as much lately. Most of my computer time has been poring over textbook websites in search of a new science curriculum for my oldest. The series we use now only goes up to 6th grade. The next series available from Singapore, i-Science, looks rigorous, but not very engaging. Since my hubby and I both graduated with engineering backgrounds, I am a bit picky about the rigor of the science and math programs I choose. Since my oldest enjoys science as well, I want something that's not going to squash that enjoyment; and since unit studies are tough for me personally to organize and conduct, textbook and labwork are going to be the way we go. Basically, I'd love something as engaging and organized as SOS, but Catholic or secular, and content intensive. (Would someone please make this for me?)
I haven't found it in the regular homeschool places, and when I look at reviews about the books the US public and private schools are using, it's depressing. "Loaded with errors" is the phrase that keeps popping up. Even if they weren't, something is not right with the curriculum, because despite the loads of money we put into the educational system, the US is way behind in science and math. (These are from the 2003 Trends in Math and Science Survey. The results from the latest TIMSS are due out December 8). If you check out the The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) from 2006 here , in which more countries participate, it looks even worse (see page 22/23 of the pdf file). Apparently we start off on an even keel (in 4th grade we're still in doing okay) and go downhill from there.
Armed with this ridiculous amount of trivial knowledge, I've decided to go hunting for a curriculum from some other English speaking country who's doing better in science than the US. If you check out those tables, you'll see that I have a few to choose from. It has taken me a little while to get past the differences in acronyms and professional terms, but at this point I've come across a few promising options. I'll let you know what I find when I find it. It may interest you to know, for now, that Amazon.com (that's the US one) has a lot of curriculum imports on hand, and they are much less expensive than the US textbook counterparts. Go figure. In the meantime, if you know of a great science curriculum for junior high (or Year 8, Key Stage 3) from Canada, Australia, or UK that I can get my hands on without sacrificing a limb for shipping, please, please let me know. Leave a comment about it and I will gladly check it out and think lovely thoughts about you all week.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment