Mom Sparks Mo Gameboy

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homemade Warm Compress

Local snapshot of Gustav wind damage
My lovely cousin passed this trick on to me a couple of weeks ago when my littlest developed an abcess (YUCK!) She says is was told to her by her lovely friend, etc.

Find a clean sock. Use one of those lonely ones you can't find the match to. Fill it with uncooked rice (white or brown is okay). Tie it off and put it in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove it carefully. This time is perfect on my 1000 Watt oven, but yours might be more or less powerful. If it's too hot, let it cool (stating the obvious). If it seems perfect, you still want to shake it a bit to distribute the heat evenly.

This provides a "moist heat" for a good while. It's perfect for earaches, sore muscles, or even the nasty old abcess. In that last case, however, you still probably want to put it in a ziploc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used this trick when I was pregnant (because you're not supposed to use electric heating pads) and loved it. I'm not a huge fan of the rice smell though, so I added a few drops of potpourri oil and it really works. Blessings, Whitney

Kama said...

Yeah, I'm due in 3 weeks and the hospital told us to do this for pains. They said if you double sock it then the rice won't find it's way out of the holes and if you add a touch of jasmine or another scent it has some great aromatherapy qualities too. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Who'd have thought that I'm "ever so resourceful" or "lovely"?? Coming from you, the lovely queen of resource, I take it as a high honor. BTW I just learned that the sock with rice stands up better to a child jumping on it than the store-bought version, AND the contents of the store-bought version...white rice!

mom_at_home said...

Thanks for the extra tip ladies, I'll be adding a scent to that next crazy sock!